How to grow asparagus plants
How To :
- • Choose a sunny part of the garden with good drainage.
- • Dig a trench and check the pH, which should be 6.5 to 7.5.
- • Plant the crowns about 8 in. deep and 15 in. apart.
- • Cover initially with 2 in. of dirt, and gradually fill the trench as the spears emerge.
- • The edible stems of asparagus rise directly from the ground. Spears that are about 8 in. tall are ready to harvest.
- • Snapping of the spear by hand is easy and protects the plant. You can use a knife, but be careful not to damage developing stems.
- • At the end of the harvest, allow the asparagus plants to form ferns. These help transfer energy to the roots for good spear development the next season