How to build and use a potato box
- Six 2-inch by 6-inch boards eight feet long.
- One 2-inch by 2-inch bord 12 feet long.
- 2 1/2-inch wood screws (96 of them).
- you can use pine,cedar or redwood, which will resist rot longer.)
- Step 1 : Cut the 2-by-2 into four lengths of 33 inches.
- Step 2 : Cut the 2-by-6 boards into 12 lengths of 21 inches, and 12 lengths of 24 inches.
- Step 3 : Pre-drill the screw holes in the 2-by-6 boards and attach the bottom row on the 2-by-2s
- Step 4 : Place over prepared soil and fill with soft soil or mulch, planting potatoes four inches deep.
- Step 5 : When the vines are about 12 inches above the soil, add another board and fill with dirt; being careful not to cover more then one-third of the plant Repeat this until the box is completed.
- Step 6 : To harvest your potatoes; remove the screws from the bottom board and carefully reach in for the potatoes. Replace the soil and boards. Next time you need potatoes, remove the second board and "rob" spuds from that level.